Creamy Fruit Oatmeal



Here's a great copycat recipe for that new oatmeal everyone seems to be getting from McDonalds these days. I seriously can't go anywhere early in the morning without spotting at least one person (usually a woman, just sayin) eating it, and I've been known to buy it on a busy morning, too. It's just so damn tasty that you can't really blame us for loving it, even if it is from McDonalds.

Lately I've been finding that my normal breakfast smoothie hasn't been giving me enough energy to get through my morning gym visit. I've been having zero energy even though I've been doing less than usual, so I decided to start changing my breakfast to this oatmeal. It definitely provides a lot more calories, but it fills me up for much longer and gives me more energy. It does take a bit longer than making a smoothie, but the results are so worth it, and it beats spending $2+ a day on the fast food version. If you chop up all the fruit in advance and bag it, this could be even quicker. Kid love it too, as evidenced by Riley!




Creamy Fruit Oatmeal  
Yield: 2 large or 4 small servings

INGREDIENTS
1 cup water
1 cup low-fat milk
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 tbl salted butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbl maple syrup
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
2 tbl half and half or cream (optional)
1 granny smith apple, diced
handful grapes, sliced in half
2 tbl raisins
1 banana, sliced
2 tbl chopped walnuts (optional)

DIRECTIONS
In a medium pot heat together the water, milk, oats, butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt until the mixture comes to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until creamy, another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in the half and half if using.

Divide the oatmeal between 2 or 4 bowls, and top with the apple, grapes, raisins, banana, and walnuts if using. Garnish with a pinch of cinnamon or sugar. Serve and enjoy!

SOURCE
Sarah Cupcake original

2 Response to Creamy Fruit Oatmeal

June 5, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I love oatmeal with outrageously delicious toppings, and this sounds perfect for early Summer!
(Also sorry for the long silence, I was busy with commencement/traveling.)

June 7, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Love all the extras in the oatmeal. Great copycat recipe. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes