Butternut Squash Farro Salad



I'm pretty obsessed with this salad.  It's oil-free, flour-free, vegan, low-calorie, and delicious so how could I not love it? I've been thinking a lot about low-calorie, vegetable-based meals lately since I need to drop a lot more weight, and I'm pretty much on my own with it. There's no reason why I shouldn't be able to still stuff my face with delicious enjoyable vegetables. Thanks to Pinterest, blogs, and the internet I now know that there's a million super healthy vegetable based meals out there to stuff my face with. There's even muffins and desserts, too!! This makes me uber excited, and I can't wait to go shopping next week armed with a new recipe list.

Butternut Squash Farro Salad
Yield: 4-6 servings

INGREDIENTS
2 cups butternut squash, 1/2" cube
2 onions, chopped
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, divided
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 cup farro, rinsed
3 cups water
2 ounces toasted pecans, roughly chopped
salt and pepper, to taste

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine the butternut squash and onions in a small roasting pan. Drizzle with 2 tbsp of the balsamic vinegar, thyme, and salt and pepper. Toss to combine and roast for about 20 minutes or until visibly charred in spots. Set aside.

Meanwhile, combine the farro and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a low boil. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the farro is al dente. Drain any excess water.

In a large bowl combine the roasted butternut squash-onion mixture, farro, remaining 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, and pecans. Salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.

SOURCE
Sarah Cupcake original

1 Response to Butternut Squash Farro Salad

October 31, 2012 at 6:34 AM

Healthy and gorgeous dish! Happy Halloween! Hope you and your family have a spook-tacular day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes