Healthy Slow-Cooker Enchilada Soup




I definitely have a mixed identity when it comes to blogging. One day I post cheesecake and cupcakes, the next a recipe for braised beef, and the next a recipe for a clean appetizer. I don't know what niche I fit into in the food blogging world (cupcakes, health food, and comfort food?). I think a lot of bloggers feel the need to fit into some category, but I don't mind straying from "cupcakes". I do know why I post what I post though. When it comes to savory food, it's just what I'm eating at the time - whether it's healthy "clean" food or processed garbage (which I say lovingly). When it comes to the bottom of the food pyramid, i.e. dessert, that's what I really love to do. I bake for the sheer joy of baking. Sometimes I don't take more than a taste of what I've made because I'm only looking to enjoy being in the kitchen and putting together the final product. That's one of my happy places. This is a recipe for healthy chicken enchilada soup that I made in the slow-cooker the other night. It's what I'm really eating right now (because I don't eat cupcakes as a daily meal, although it should be required). I made it for dinner and for no other reason.

Healthy Slow-Cooker Enchilada Soup
Yield: 8 servings

INGREDIENTS
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, minced
5 stalks celery, minced, leaves included
2 small green bell peppers, minced
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
2 cups fresh, frozen, or canned corn, drained and thawed
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
3 cups chicken stock
4 bone-in skinless chicken thighs
3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper, to taste

DIRECTIONS
Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and sautee the onion, celery, and bell peppers until softened, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle in the chili powder, cumin, granulated garlic, and cayenne pepper and cook for another minute. Add the can of tomato paste and stir to combine. Cook for another 2 minutes. Add the contents of the skillet to the slow cooker along with the corn, black beans, crushed tomatoes, and chicken stock. Stir to combine. Nestle the chicken thighs in the mixture and cook on low heat for 8-10 hours or high heat for 4-6 hours.

Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred the meat with a fork, discard the bone. Add the shredded meat back into the slow cooker with the cheese. Stir to combine. Cook for another 20 minutes. Season to taste and serve.

SOURCE
Sarah Cupcake original

1 Response to Healthy Slow-Cooker Enchilada Soup

October 9, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Wow..This is so good recipe. I will try it soon.

Cosmetic Surgery India

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes