Smokey Pepper Jack Biscuits




Here is another recipe from my Baked arsenal. If you haven't noticed by now or you don't read this blog, I am obsessed with this cookbook. I think this is the 10th recipe that I have made from it which is quite a lot for me. Every recipe in the book just strikes my fancy. I messed with this recipe a little bit. I cut down the butter slightly for starters. I used pepper jack cheese instead of sharp cheddar and a teaspoon of smoked paprika instead of a tablespoon of chipotle powder. These variations were purely based on the ingredients I had on hand. But they came out wonderful none the less. They're smokey, tangy, salty, and slightly spicy from the cheese. I cut one in half later in the day, toasted it, and put a fried egg and shredded romano cheese inside. It was a really yummy sandwich. These would be great for breakfast or with tomato soup for lunch or dinner. Try em!



Smokey Pepper Jack Biscuits

Makes 12 large biscuits

2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 tbl baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbl sugar
1 tsp cream of tartar
6 tbl salted butter, chilled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg
kosher salt for topping

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.



In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, smoked paprika, sugar, and cream of tartar. Using your hands work in the butter until it resembles course sand. Add the cheese and combine.

In another bowl whisk together the buttermilk and egg. Add to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Drop batter in 1/4 cup rounds onto prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle with kosher salt and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Adapted from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking

No Response to "Smokey Pepper Jack Biscuits"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes