Vanilla Rice Pudding


After making Sticky Toffee Rice Pudding I knew I had to try the original rice pudding recipe that I adapted. I'm glad I did because I found the best substitue for Cozy Shack rice pudding that I could hope for. This is perfect for a plain vanilla lover.

I used jasmine rice for this. It gives the pudding a much different quality than the Japanese rice I used for the sticky toffee version. The jasmine rice version is much lighter and much less sticky of a pudding.

I'm sure I'll be standing over my kitchen sink at twelve at night eating a big bowl of this. :)

Vanilla Rice Pudding

4 cups whole milk
7 tbs granulated sugar
pinch salt
1/2 cup rice such as jasmine or japanese (but any kind will do)
1 tbs pure vanilla extract (good quality)
2 egg yolks

In a thick bottomed pot over medium heat stir together the milk, sugar, salt, and rice. Heat to boiling, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to keep the mixture at a simmer, stirring frequently, for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat.

In a medium bowl whisk the egg yolks together. Whisk in one cup of the hot rice mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, until the egg yolks are tempered. Pour the tempered yolks/rice mixture back into the pot and mix until combined. Heat over medium heat until boiling. Remove from heat and transfer to a different bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set in an ice bath to cool before moving to the fridge. Eat chilled.

This recipe makes 6 servings at 250 calories each (in case you were wondering).

Adapted from Fine Cooking magazine

1 Response to Vanilla Rice Pudding

Anonymous
May 31, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I will be trying this ASAP! We love Cozy Shack rice pudding and I would rather make it at home to save money and be able to make bigger batches.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes