Dark Chocolate Ice Cream


I saw this recipe in my Baked cookbook, realized I had all the ingredients, and had had had to make it. I am a real lover of Friendly's Forbidden Chocolate ice cream. And if I ever thought that was good and chocolatey this ice cream has it beat forever. The base for this ice cream tastes like pure, rich, creamy chocolate pudding. It actually tastes almost identical to the chocolate pudding ice cream from my fav ice cream place Herrel's in Northampton, MA. It totally wasn't what I was going for, but that's what I got!


If you're on a diet, maybe you shouldn't make this ice cream. As I'm sitting here mindlessly eating peanut butter pretzels (which I don't even like, mind you) I realize that maybe I shouldn't be making it either. I obviously have no self control. I've been wearing work out clothes for three hours, have eaten a Luna bar, and various crudites with 40 spice Hummus, and two coffees. I have absolutely no plans to do anything productive within the next two hours except to put some laundry in and attempt to drag my ass to the gym. And I really should be trying to purchase a new car right now...Ok. So there's my sob story and a really amazing ice cream.

P.S. I cut the recipe in half. For those of you with self control, feel free to double it back to its original form.

P.S.S. Baked suggests adding in some crushed up salted pretzels just before the ice cream is fully frozen. Sounds good to me...

Dark Chocolate Ice Cream

4 ounces dark chocolate (60%-72%), finely chopped
2 large eggs
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup plus 2 tbl sugar
2 tbl dark unsweetend cocoa powder

Place the chopped chocolate in the bowl of a stand mixer and place a fine mesh seive over top, set aside.

Whisk the eggs together in a large heat-proof bowl and set aside.

In a small, heavy-bottomed pot bring to a boil the cream, milk, sugar, and cocoa powder. Remove from the heat and carefully whisk 1/3 of the mixture into the eggs. Pour the mixture back into the pot and place over medium heat. Bring just to a boil, whisking constantly, and immediatly remove from the heat and seive over the chopped chocolate. Let stand for one minute before whisking the mixture together. Cover and place in the refrigerator to cool, about 4 hours.
Remove from the fridge and whisk until light and frothy. Add to an ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturers directions.

Adapted from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking

No Response to "Dark Chocolate Ice Cream"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes