Kiwi Sorbet


Kiwi was always one of my favorite fruits growing up. In fact, kiwi fruit always reminded me of ... me! It has a rather mild and sweet flavor that can lean towards being sour if it isn't ripe enough. The outside is rough but the inside is green and funky looking in a really beautiful way.


As someone who always liked sour things I appreciated a kiwi whether under ripe or perfectly ripe. The tiny black seeds throughout intrigued me as well, they have a slightly crunchy texture I like.


Recently, I've been looking into some kind of baked kiwi preparation but its flavor is too delicate to withstand that. Fresh preparations are really the only kind that tend to work well. That's why when I saw that the Foodbuzz daily special was sorbet, I knew I wanted to try a kiwi sorbet. Most sorbets consist purely of fruit and sugar. It's so simple to make but the results are stunning. If you're looking for a healthy alternative to ice cream this is perfect.


Peeling a kiwi 101 ;)

Cut off both ends about 1/4-1/2 inch in like this:


Take a large spoon and slide it under the skin like this:


Rotate the spoon around, releasing the skin from the fruit like this:


Slide the kiwi fruit out:


How freakin' cute kiwi! :)


P.S. Can someone please explain this phenomenon of people who actually eat the skin on a kiwi fruit? I'm totally perplexed...


Kiwi Sorbet

2 lbs ripe kiwi fruit
1/2 cup sugar

Peel and chop the kiwis. Add to a food processor with the sugar and pulse until smooth. Chill until cold, about 1 hour.

Freeze in an ice cream maker, then transfer to a container and place in the freezer until firm, about 1 hour.
Recipe adapted from Epicurious

3 Response to Kiwi Sorbet

Anonymous
August 11, 2011 at 8:19 PM

That's it! Totally trying this!

August 12, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Love this!!! Looks so delicious! :)

August 16, 2011 at 5:24 PM

I've got to try this. I think kiwis are so gorgeous. Thanks for the recipe and inspiration!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes