Maple Apple Pie Oatmeal


I love to make oatmeal. There are certain things in this world that just make me feel comforted and oatmeal is one of them. Coffee, muffins, fuzzy scarves, cute boots, car heaters, and chilly autumn winds are some more things that fall into my "comfort" list. Is it any wonder that I have an entire notebook page dedicated to fall baking ideas? :)


This week I decided to take a spin on my usual comforting oatmeal recipe. I haven't posted my usual cinnamon raisin oatmeal recipe yet, but I had to share this one immediately with all of you. I just love the way this nods to fall in all the spices, the apples, and the warm maple syrup. Plus, it's not bad on the wasitline either ;).


Some things on my fall baking to-do list? I plan on doing many things with my basket of apples since I missed out on the picking season last year. Definitly an apple pie is a must this year along with candied apples, baked apples, and homemade apple sauce. I love the kinds of baked goods you can freeze or give as gifts. Muffins and cookies are perfect for fall for just this reason. I love making an extra batch and sticking the remainders in the freezer to pull out on the fly when Miss Riley has a craving for a cookie.


Maple Apple Pie Oatmeal

1 medium apple, peeled and sliced
3 tbl light brown sugar
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbl butter
1 cup oatmeal (not the quick-cooking)
1 cup water
1 cup milk
2 tbl maple syrup

In a small saucepan heat the apple, 2 tbl brown sugar, nutmeg, allspice, and 1/4 tsp cinnamon over medium-low heat. Cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add in the butter and stir until melted.

Meanwhile, heat the oatmeal, water, milk, 1 tbl brown sugar, and 1/4 tsp cinnamon in a pot until boiling. Turn the heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes or until tender. Spoon into a bowl and top with the apples and 1 tbl of maple syrup. Makes 2 servings.

No Response to "Maple Apple Pie Oatmeal"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes