Apple Tart


Want to know what I'm doing right now? Watching Mary Poppins. It's annoying in certain parts, like when Mar (can I call her that?) sings about that crazy bird lady. What's she thinkin'?


Anyway... There's another kid at my door. It's trick-or-treat night in my town because of the noreaster the week before last. And *ahem* no one told me, what a loser. So, yeah, I'm watching Mary Poppins with Riley and writing this post instead. Totes fun. It's the bird lady part. What do they say, tuppins? I'm 23, and I still don't know that.


So - in case you were wondering - I spent the day raking leaves and playing. That's right, I took Riley to the park. I'm a guilty mother, and I don't like her watching that much tv. I'm also a hypocrite because she's watched two episodes of Dinosaur Train and Mary Poppins today. I'm still guilty. There's things I'd like to be different, but isn't that true for everyone? I made this apple tart tonight. It came out pretty perfect. That made me happy :) As for tv watching and trick-or-treating? Yeah, I'm still working on it.

Sweet Tart Dough

You could do a couple things with this recipe. I've cut it in half and added vanilla to make it even more delectable. To make a savory crust just omit the sugar. If you're using unsalted butter then add 1/4 tsp salt. If you double this recipe it will make enough for two tarts (duh).

3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup cake flour
1 tbl granulated sugar
6 tbl salted butter, chilled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 tbl shortening, chilled
1/4 cup ice water
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Add the flours, sugar, and butter to a food processor. Pulse 5 or 6 times to break up the butter. Add in the shortening. Pour the ice water and vanilla into the top of the processor as you pulse 3 or 4 times. The mixture should stick together when you grab a handful. If it doesn't add drops of water and pulse until it sticks together. Pour out the dough onto a floured surface and need 2 or 3 times. Cover it in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.

Apple Tart

sweet tart dough
1 cup apricot preserves
3 firm apples - peeled, cored, and sliced thinly
2 tbl sugar

Butter a 9" or 10" tart pan with a removable bottom. Roll out the tart dough on a floured surface to 12 inches in diameter. Roll the dough onto the rolling pin and unroll into the tart pan. Press the dough down and into the sides, folding the extra dough back onto the sides of the tart pan for extra strength. Poke the bottom all over with a fork and chill for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat the ovn to 450 degrees. Butter one side of a sheet of aluminum foil and press it into the chilled tart shell. Fill with pie weights or dried beans and blind bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove the pie weights and foil, poke with a fork again, and bake for another 4 minutes or until golden brown. Turn the heat down to 375 degrees.

Meanwhile heat the apricot preserves until thinned. Strain. Brush some of the preserves all over the bottom of the baked tart shell. Arrange the sliced apples decoratively. Sprinkle with the sugar. Foil the sides of the crust if they are getting too brown, and bake for another 30-35 minutes. Brush with more apricot preserves.

Source: adapted from Julia's Kitchen Wisdom by Julia Child

4 Response to Apple Tart

November 15, 2011 at 11:25 AM

This apple tart looks great!! I just made an apple dessert myself yesterday. I have not seen Mary Poppins in ages. I just saw Julie Andrews on Rachael Ray yesterday... maybe I need to introduce my kids to it. :)

November 15, 2011 at 1:09 PM

What a gorgeous tart, this looks so delicious! :)

November 15, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Love Mary Poppins! I still refer to my big purses as 'Mary Poppin's purses' but no one ever gets the joke.
Beautiful tart! :)

November 15, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Beautiful tart. This looks so good. Yum!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes