Caramelized Banana Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce



I've determined that new year's resolutions are dumb. I don't know about you, but every new year's resolution that I make ends up being something that I've already promised myself to do throughout the year before. Things like being more organized or losing weight are always on my mind, so why would I possibly want to make them part of my new year's resoltions? I'm boycotting new year's resolutions this year.




I'm really proud of myself that I've been taking some steps to healthiness. I replaced sugar in my coffee with Stevia, Diet Coke with Zevia Cola, fattening breakfasts with greek yogurt and homemade granola, fattening lunches with rice and veggies, and sedentary days with short exercises. So far I haven't seen any results as far as the scale goes, but I definitly feel a little better, and not to mention more motivated! I'm working on getting more sleep, too.




And now that I've said all of that, I'm going to post a recipe for this calorie-laden bread pudding. Hopefully I will be making this again on Saturday for a post-Christmas Christmas party. It definitly was delicious, but I think I might need a few more opinions on it just to make sure it's perfect.

Caramelized Banana Bread Pudding with Rum Toffee Sauce

For the bread pudding:
8 slices of thick white bread, toasted
2 tbl salted butter
3 tbl brown sugar
2 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 large bananas, sliced
2 1/2 tbl sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the 2 tbl butter evenly over each of the slices of toasted bread. Sprinkly the 3 tbl of brown sugar evenly over the 8 slices. Sandwich 2 slices of bread together, forming 4 sanwiches. Trim off the crusts and cube up each sandwich. Divide the cubes evenly among 8 1/2-cup ramekins.

In a medium saucepan heat the milk and 1/3 cup sugar until just boiling, remove from heat. Meanwhile add the 3 eggs to a heatproof bowl and whisk together. Add about 1/4 cup of the hot milk mixture to the eggs, whisking constantly to temper. Add the egg mixture back to the pot of hot milk and whisk to combine. Add in the vanilla extract and stir to combine. Pour the custard mixture evenly into the 8 ramekins.

Top each ramekin with slices of banana and evenly sprinkle the sugar over top of each. Put the ramekins in a roasting pan and fill the roasting pan about 1 inch high with simmering water. Bake for about 30 minutes or until a knife inserted 1 inch from the side comes out clean. Turn the oven to broil and let the tops of the bananas caramelize for a minute or so. Top with rum toffee sauce.

For the rum toffee sauce:
1 1/4 cups heavy cream, divided
4 tbl (1/2 stick) salted butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbl dark rum

In a saucepan over medium heat melt together 3/4 cup of the heavy cream, butter, corn syrup, and sugar together. Bring to a boil and let cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture turns a deep amber color. Remove from the heat and whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup of the heavy cream and dark rum.

Source: Bread pudding heavily adapted from Betty Crocker's Cookbook. Rum toffee sauce adapted from Food and Wine magazine.

6 Response to Caramelized Banana Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce

January 3, 2012 at 9:21 AM

This looks delicious! What a great combination of flavors.

January 3, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I think general resolutions like being more kind to our bodies is better than just "lose weight". Although I still want to lose weight, ha.

January 3, 2012 at 1:18 PM

This looks like a warm bowl of decadent comfort food. YUM! My husband would go nuts for this. Well done! :)

Anonymous
January 3, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Look so delicious - the title alone is tempting. Good luck with the small health changes. I'm trying to do the same.

January 4, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Decadent and delicious!

Anonymous
January 5, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Oh my! I need to load up on my insulin and get out the ramekins!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes