Italian Sprinkle Cookies



These were always one of my favorite cookies as a kid. They're dense, crumbly cookies that are only slightly sweet. The sweet frosting on top is a necessity, and the colorful sprinkles add a little crunch. Whether you make them with anise or lemon, they are so good and the flavors shine through. I couldn't believe how easy these were to make! Since this is my first year baking them I had no idea what the recipe would be like. These literally contain butter, eggs, sugar, and flour (and a little flavoring). There's no baking soda, no chilling in the fridge, no shaping. They're so easy, so simple, so plain, but soooo good. I made a bunch in different colors to give out in my cookie boxes, but I think I'll keep them for myself. ;) Happy Holidays!! <3








Here's a tip - 1: These cookies don't rise at all, so there's no need to leave a huge amount of space between cookies. 2: Round the tops of the cookies nicely since the shape you put on the cookie sheet is the same shape your cookies will be. 3: If you're looking for a buttercream to use for these (I don't use a recipe) cream together 1 stick of butter with a few cups of powdered sugar and dribbles of milk until you get a thick, but spreadable, consistency. Then add in your extract and food coloring.

Italian Sprinkle Cookies

1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, at room temp
1/2 cup sugar
3 large eggs, at room temp
1 1/2 tbl pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp anise extract
3 1/2 cups flour

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Turn the mixer to low and add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla and anise extract and beat to combine. Slowly add in the flour on low speed and beat until incorporated. You'll have a thick dough-like batter. Drop in rounded tablespoonfuls onto a baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until slightly golden. Cool completely. Top with a plain buttercream frosting flavored with anise extract and various food coloring. Top with plenty of sprinkles!

Lemon variation: Omit the anise extract. After baking, frost with a plain buttercream flavored with lemon extract and yellow food coloring. Sprinkle!

Makes about 40 cookies.

Source: Family recipe!

5 Response to Italian Sprinkle Cookies

December 13, 2011 at 7:12 AM

Mmm, these have been with me for a long time - in Europe anyways, and I love right next to little Italy with two amazing bakeries here in Cleveland. Looks gorgeous! :)

December 13, 2011 at 7:20 AM

Wow these look pretty tasty! And I love the low maintenance of not having to chill or shape the cookies!

December 13, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Looks very nice! Yummy!!

December 13, 2011 at 11:59 AM

These look great. I am the only one in my family who likes anise cookies but I bet with the frosting on these, I could get them to eat some hehe.

December 13, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Ooooo, I love a quick easy cookie! These are a perfectly cute for a little one like my daughter. I am saving this one for a time when she's old enough to help me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes