Vanilla Custard Pots



I'm procrastinating. Christmas messes are looming all around me. There's piles in every corner. Naturally, it's custard time!








I wasted a perfectly good day with vanilla custard and poor planning. Of course, I did manage to get my oil changed and take a shower. Not bad for five hours worth of time. I'm feeling anxiety creeping back in, not good. Custard = good.

I received this pretty white book for Christmas. It's got pages of french pastry recipes. The cover is thick and squishy like one of Riley's board books. Thanks to my momma!







I made these and ate two. Tonight, I'm supposed to go over Jason's house for dinner. I think I'll bring the rest of these, and a bag of lettuce. He's cooking, so I get my salad made for free! All I have to do is bring the groceries, no biggie. Tomorrow, I'm starting my crash diet. It's happening people. Be prepared for lots of health in the weeks to come. :)

Vanilla Custard Pots

1 1/4 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
4 large eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.

In a medium saucepan heat the milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla over medium heat until just boiling. Remove from the heat. Ladle in about 1/4 cup of the hot milk mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly. Ladle in another 1/4 cup while whisking to temper the eggs. Dump the egg mixture back into the saucepan and whisk to combine. Place over medium heat and stir until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.

Divide between 6 1/2-cup ramekins. Place the ramekins in a roasting pan and fill an inch or two with hot water. Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool to room temperature before refrigerating. Serve chilled.

Source: Adapted from The Art of French Baking by Phaidon.

3 Response to Vanilla Custard Pots

December 28, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Oh, I just love procrastinating on everything I have to do by hopping into the kitchen! My favorite way to waste time any day of the week. These look wonderful, a perfectly good reason for not picking up Christmas messes.

December 29, 2011 at 1:52 AM

This looks yummy!! One of my favourite desserts of all times!

December 30, 2011 at 2:14 AM

I am so intimidated by the idea of making a custard, but I love enjoying one and yours looks absolutely amazing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes