Chicken Enchiladas with Salsa Verde



I don't know if I've ever told you this, but I freaking love Mexican food. For serious. I don't know where I would be in my life right now without tacos (whatevs if they're tex-mex), burritos, enchiladas, and salsa. If On the Border and Taco Bell get me excited then I am seriously pumped to try out a new place called Bueno y Sano next week. Mama Iguana's and Chipotle are also beloved places on my list.

I can't think of a Mexican meal that I wouldn't want to make. It's really all good to me. Tomatillos? Checked off my list this week. Little did I know they were hiding next to the hot peppers at my grocery store forever. I actually bought canned tomatillos once to try to make green sauce. Don't repeat my mistake. The memories are horrific.

Basically, this recipe is awesome, easy, and healthy. I love it. It tastes great with a homemade salad of lettuce radishes, oil, and white vinegar on the side or right on top. It also begs to be served with homemade margaritas, just sayin. If you want some more Mexican cooking to make your tastebuds happy, try some of these out. Adios!

Bunuelos
Churros
Homemade Refried Beans and Spanish Rice
Black Bean Enchiladas with Red Sauce
Shredded Chicken Enchiladas with White Sauce
Spicy Mexican Corn Bisque
Homemade Corn Tortillas with Salsa and Con Queso Sauce
Fresh Jicama Salsa
Spicy Lime Corn on the Cob with Mayonnaise and Parmesan
Margarita Ice Cream

Chicken Enchiladas with Salsa Verde

For the salsa verde:
1/2 white onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
2 serrano or jalapeno chiles, stems removed
14 whole tomatillos, peeled and simmered in water for 5 minutes
1/4 cup unsalted roasted peanuts (I used a scoop of peanut butter)
2 tsp coarse salt
1/2 cup chicken broth

Preheat the broiler. Place the onion, garlic, and chiles on a baking sheet. Broil for 4 minutes, or until charred and blistered. Discard the garlic skin. Place the onion, garlic, and chiles in a blender jar with the tomatillos, peanuts, salt, and broth. Blend until smooth.

To assemble:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
12 corn tortillas, toasted, stacked, and wrapped in a clean kitchen towel to steam
4 cups shredded chicken
7 ounces queso fresco, crumbled, or shredded Monterey Jack cheese 
coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Heat a saucepan to medium high and add a tablespoon of oil. Carefully pour in the salsa verde and cook, stirring constantly to thicken up, about 3 minutes. One by one dip the tortillas in the sauce, place in an ungreased 9 x 13-inch baking dish, fill with some chicken, and roll up. Fit each enchilada snugly next to the other in the baking dish. Pour the remaining green sauce over the enchiladas. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling and the enchiladas are heated through.

Source: Adapted from Mad Hungry by Lucinda Scala Quinn

4 Response to Chicken Enchiladas with Salsa Verde

January 17, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Oh how I love salsa verde :) Sounds delicious and perfect for cold nights in Cleveland!

Anonymous
January 17, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I'm right there with you on the Mexican food. Delicious. Great recipe to try as well.

January 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I LOVE Mexican food Tex Mex food anything in that general ball park. Seriously I could eat it everyday... well not really as I usually eat to much and I am sure that would not be healthy but if I lived in Mexico then I would lol. This dish looks fantastic! I have yet to play with tomatillos but now I want to and I totally want some of these enchiladas now!

January 18, 2012 at 6:55 AM

I have only worked with salsa verde once.. I must do it again. Gotta love those tomatillos!! This looks really amazing. I love Mexican food too. In high school and college it was either Mexican or Chinese most of the time that we went out for... those were some good days. :) Well done!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes