Foodbuzz 24x24: Breakfast Reimagined

As a baker I have a special love for breakfast. It's the only meal of the day where eating cereal and pop-tarts (essentially sugar and flour) is completely acceptable. For this month's Foodbuzz 24x24 - a collection of 24 different bloggers' meals in 24 hours - I chose to reimagine breakfast in a slightly different way. Breakfast staples like pop-tarts, grape juice, sausage, eggs, toast, pancakes, and cereal were all transformed into dinner fare. There's nothing more fun or creative than planning out an entire menu of reimagined food - thanks go to Foodbuzz for hosting this event!



So many good dinners and parties have started off for me with a cheese plate and glass of wine. Cheese course "pop-tarts" were made from homemade puff pastry and filled with either brie or goat cheese. The brie version got a swirl of cherry jam "frosting" while the goat cheese variety was balanced with plenty of honey "glaze" and walnut "sprinkles".





I wanted to play on the idea of a lumberjack special for the main event: sausage, eggs, toast, and pancakes. Rather than completely transform breakfast sausage into something new, I made a supper-worthy homemade version with fresh sage, garlic, and spices. I even fried them in bacon grease to give them more moisture.




Eggs usually always come on a lumberjack special whether they're fried, over-easy, scrambled, or put into an omelet. This version combines the flavors of an omelet with the runny yolk of an over-easy. Gruyere cheese and truffle salt gave these earthy flavor while the slightly tart bite of sundried tomatoes balanced it all out.





Have you ever noticed that by the time you get to the toast portion of a breakfast special it's often picked up the flavors of everything else on your plate? I made a maple-bacon butter to spread on homemade brioche toast to try to mimick those flavors. The brioche is buttery with a cake-like crumb.





I reimagined blueberry pancakes into a killer cocktail. Not only did it taste just like a blueberry pancake, it was ten times easier (and possibly more fun) to make. Blueberry vodka, butterscotch schnapps, and irish cream liquer all blended together to mimick the maple and blueberry flavors.




Last, but definitly not least, was a homemade cereal marshmallow panna cotta. I could never have imagined this turning out so good! It was by far my favorite dish of the night. I stamped out hundreds of cereal marshmallows for this dessert (which I got from Brave Tart), and they really complimented the rich cereal milk panna cotta.





Stay tuned for all of the recipes in the upcoming weeks! My highlights of the night were the homemade puff pastry, cereal marshmallows, and blueberry pancakes martini - of course, all the sweet items. I hope everyone has a great week, and I hope I inspired you to be a little more creative in the kitchen! Let me know if you have any questions or comments. :)

17 Response to Foodbuzz 24x24: Breakfast Reimagined

January 30, 2012 at 4:23 AM

Congrats on the 24x24!! :) I love these ideas... the cereal panna cotta and the blueberry cocktail... genius! :)

January 30, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Thanks Ramona :)

January 30, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Hello Fellow 24x24 poster! :) Congrats! I love that you chose breakfast for dinner! Can't wrong with that in my book! If you have time, check out my post on how to make Burrata.

January 30, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Definitely congrats!! That's awesome! And I love breakfast foods!! These all look great!

January 31, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Thnanks for checking out my post. I'm headed over to see yours, congrats :)

January 31, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Aww, thanks! You have a great blog yourself. :)

February 1, 2012 at 1:42 PM

That looks like a great breakfast party! I really like how you prepared the eggs - they have a lot of character, and texture!

February 1, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Thanks Christy!! The whites are actually whipped and folded with gruyere and sun-dried tomatoes. They were inspired by an article I found in Rachel Ray's magazine. :)

February 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM

My husband would beg to differ about poptarts and cereal only being eatten at breakfast. That's often his "after dinner" snack. What a great breakfast party! I really love the panna cotta, it looks so pretty!

February 1, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I love breakfast!!!

February 2, 2012 at 5:11 AM

I have to agree with that. I've been known to eat lucky charms and brown sugar pop-tarts at all times of the day, too... more like "dessert" really, but that's the great part about them!! Thanks :) The cereal milk panna cotta was my fav too.

February 2, 2012 at 5:11 AM

:) Yay!

February 2, 2012 at 5:37 AM

Wow! Great 24x24. I especially love the dessert panna cotta and cocktail ideas, but everything is really clever and unique without veering too far from a traditional breakfast. Nicely done!

February 2, 2012 at 5:48 AM

Thanks Emigilia, that's what I was going for :) The cocktail and panna cotta will be up soon, they were my favorite too! Congrats on your 24x24, as well, you did a great job. I loved seeing my way through the market, what a cool experience.

Anonymous
February 2, 2012 at 1:16 PM

This is a crazy awesome meal, what ingenuity! I'm awed!

February 3, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Well, thank you very much! :) It was easy coming up with ideas since I love breakfast food so much. It was fun!!

February 14, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Wow, love all your breakfast ideas.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes