Cosmic Brownies







Cosmic brownies are like a dirty little food secret. I know that they're bad for me, that they're just an excuse to put a ridiculous amount of sugar in my body, but they're so so good. Luckily it's Hostess and not Little Debbie that's going under (I never developed a taste for...Twinkie's, sorry). Even so, I find the idea that I can make cosmic brownies at home CRAZY EXCITING. When I was a kid, I never got cosmic brownies in my Arctic Zone lunch pack, which may be one of the reasons I'm so enamored with them now. Spreading a layer of chocolate buttercream and sprinkles on top of an already delicious brownie....just seems right. Um, these are also totes simple to make...they might as well be a box mix, are you with me? Whisk together a few dry things, add some wet things, give them a good whisking, and bake 'em up.

Cosmic Brownies

For the brownies:
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 large eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8" square pan, line in either direction with aluminum foil, overlapping the sides by few inches, and grease the foil.

In a large bowl whisk together the cocoa, flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Add in the melted and cooled butter, eggs, and vanilla extract. Whisk just to combine, there should be no visible flour or large lumps, but you shouldn't be whisking after that point. Pour into the prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Do not overcook, you want the brownies to by fudgey! Let them cool for 30 minutes before frosting and sprinkling. Lift the brownies out using the foil and allow to cool completely before slicing.

For the frosting:
3 tbl salted butter, softened
3 tbl unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbl corn syrup
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar
jimmies

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream together the butter, cocoa, and honey until smooth. Add the vanilla extract and beat to combine. Slowly add in the powdered sugar and beat until creamy. Spread on cooled brownies and top with jimmies.

Source: Recipe adapted from AllRecipes.

19 Response to Cosmic Brownies

February 2, 2012 at 7:25 PM

These look awesome!

February 3, 2012 at 3:23 AM

I agree.. I'm not much of a Hostess fan.. but I do hide little Debbie's in my grocery cart..hope they never need a price check. :) These look like such fun brownies. I never got any thing this cool in my lunch box either.. not even Hostess or Little Debbie's. PS... did you get a new camera because your recent pictures are just popping off the screen! Well done! I'm a little obsessed with pictures these days because I'm looking for a new camera and lighting tips. :)

February 3, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Thank you Deb! I'll check out your blog soon. :)

February 3, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Thanks :) They were even easier to make...I chose this recipe because I was out of bittersweet chocolate. You probably already have the ingredients in your kitchen...and I'm thinking for Valentine's day some conversation hearts would be cute, too.

February 3, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Ramona, I'm going to e-mail you!! What little I've learned (trust me, not much) is pretty simple. Thanks for noticing, though!! And my camera is new, it's an Olympus SLR...but I'm so rushed with photographs these days that I can't even tell you the model #...I should probably look that up just incase... :)

February 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM

This looks amazing.

February 3, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I love to have a taste of this wonderful cake..;P
Tasty Appetite

February 3, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Noo, brownies aren't bad for me! :) They are delicious and therefore something I should definitely eat all the time! Especially these!

February 3, 2012 at 10:31 PM

NOM NOM NOM! :D

February 4, 2012 at 6:24 PM

My uncle used to work for Little Debbie & I loved when he'd give us boxes of these brownies. These....and Nutty Bars. :)

February 4, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Used to work at Little Debbie you say?! Haha, I would've been alllll over that when I was a kid...or now. And thanks for reminding me about Nutty Bars :)

February 5, 2012 at 8:08 PM

First time at your space.. Loved it already :) Love these brownies :)

February 6, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Looks like a perfect (and way less chemical) replacement :) Nicely done!

February 6, 2012 at 6:26 AM

I love this! My son loves Cosmic Brownies and I am so happy to find a recipe I can make at home! Love your blog!

February 6, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Yay!! I'm happy you'll use this, so much less processed than buying them at the store!! Thanks :)

February 6, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Totally less chemically...I'm thinking about an olive oil version soon, too. Brownies can totally be healthy, right? ;)

February 6, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Thanks for checking it out :)

February 8, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I've made these on my blog too they were so insanely good!

June 30, 2012 at 7:49 AM

My son LOVES Cosmic Brownies!!! I pack them in his lunch for school on most days because that's what he requests. He would freak if I made them for him! Thanks!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes