Little Cloud Eggs



I first saw these in the January edition of Rachel Ray magazine. The first thing I thought was that they were incredibly cute and simple to make. When planning out my 24x24 menu last month I had to incorporate them. A week before the dinner I tested them out to see if they were actually any good - whipped egg whites aren't always the greatest texture after being baked. I must have overcooked them because the whites were rubbery and chewy. The flavorings I put in weren't the greatest either. I rummaged around the fridge and came up with a gruyere and sun-dried tomato egg white sprinkled with truffle salt. When I made them I didn't overcook them and the flavors were great with the runny yolk - salty creamy cheese, zesty sun-dried tomatoes, and earthy truffle salt. I had bacon left over from making sausages and maple-bacon butter so I served the eggs with homemade bacon bits, too. Definitly a good call. If you're looking for something different to do with your normal fried egg, these can take on any flavorings or ingredients you want, and they're a cinch to make!!




Little Cloud Eggs


6 large eggs
1/2 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
3 tbl sun-dried tomatoes, finely minced
truffle salt, to taste
bacon bits (optional)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Separate the eggs, making sure to keep each yolk in separate bowls (this will make the coming steps much easier). Add the whites to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in the gruyere cheese and sun-dried tomatoes.

Spoon the white mixture into six equal mounds on the baking sheet. Make a circular indentation in the middle of each mound to allow for the egg yolk to sit later. Bake for 3-4 minutes or until just golden brown.

Remove the egg whites from the oven and carefully top each with an egg yolk (try not to break the yolks!). Bake for another 4 minutes or until the egg yolks are just set. Sprinkle with truffle salt and bacon bits, if desired. Serve immediately.

Source: SarahCupcake original. Idea first seen in Rachel Ray Magazine January 2012.



3 Response to Little Cloud Eggs

February 16, 2012 at 9:04 AM

What a unique little dish. I love it! I bet these are absolutely delicious and great job doctoring them up! :-)

February 16, 2012 at 5:31 PM

These looks wonderful .. I saw the same recipe in the RR's magazine and thought how cool they looked. :) Love some of her ideas. :)

February 18, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Wow, these are so pretty! :) What a cute idea.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes