Whole Wheat Blueberry Oat Pancakes



These are healthy pancakes. They're sort of like oatmeal and pancakes in one. They have blueberries and possibly walnuts. One thing I've noticed about my blog lately is that I tend to post variation type recipes frequently, and end up overlooking the basics altogether. Why, you might ask, would I notice this? I had an epiphane the other night while trying to find a good vanilla cupcake recipe: I don't have any plain vanilla cupcake recipes or plain chocolate cupcake recipes on here that I love. Well, that's going to change soon. But, for now I'm totally happy with these whole wheat blueberry oat pancakes. They're super-charged healthy and delicious...these are pancakes people, not branny-prune-juice-cakes (idk sounded good). The pinch of cinnamon really brings out the flavors of the whole wheat, oats, and blueberries in a good way - it adds a necessary layer of flavor. This might make a lot for you. If so, feel free to wrap the extras in foil and freeze for later snacking. If maple syrup isn't healthy enough, I'd use homemade slightly sweetened whipped cream...calcium anyone?




P.S. Totally unhealthy blueberry pancakes martini recipe coming soon.


Whole Wheat Bluberry Oat Pancakes

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbl brown sugar
2 tbl baking powder
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1 1/4 cups milk
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional

In a large bowl whisk together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and oats. In a seperate bowl whisk together the milk, eggs, and olive oil. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into it. Whisk until just combined with no lumps. Gently fold in the frozen blueberries and walnuts, if using. Lightly grease a griddle, cast iron pan, or skillet with vegetable shortening; preheat on medium heat. Drop the batter onto the preheated pan 1/4 cup at a time. Wait until bubbles appear on the surface of the pancakes and flip with a metal spatula. Cook for another minute or two more, top with butter, maple syrup, and/or whipped cream and serve.


Source: Adapted from AllRecipes.

5 Response to Whole Wheat Blueberry Oat Pancakes

February 8, 2012 at 6:45 AM

Delicious pancakes that I can feel good about eating. Now that's what a call a perfect meal! :) I have an award for you at my blog today.. hope you enjoy. ~ Ramona

February 8, 2012 at 6:54 AM

ounds delicious, and I lvoe that they're a bit healthier with whole wheat :) Great recipe.

Anonymous
February 8, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I love whole wheat pancakes...great picture.

February 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

MMMM, pancakes are my favorite! And I love that they're healthy, the oatmeal and whole wheat flour sounds delicious! I could definitely eat a fat stack of these, I'm literally obsessed with pancakes :)

September 17, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Just made these this morning. Delicious and filling!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes