Avocado Poundcake



Did you know what the word "carp" means? It means to argue with someone unreasonably. I like that word, and I think I'm going to adopt it into my everyday speak. Stop carping on me, Jason. That's exactly what I'll say tonight when we go for our car ride to talk. I'm pretty sure I can lighten any situation with the introduction of the word carp. I'll report back on my findings.







This poundcake makes me feel all comforted, like chicken soup. It's homey and plain looking in a sort of grandma-ish way. It's got a slightly green color from avocados and a slightly toothy bite from cornmeal. Altogether it makes the perfect familiar breakfast food with a touch of something new. I'm telling you, it's an instant classic. And it's from the new Joy the Baker Cookbook, so you should instantly like it.




I hate to try to improve or riff on a good thing, but I do it with just about everything, and I can't help it. I think this avocado poundcake would make a slammin' chocolate avocado poundcake with the addition of a few tablespoons of cocoa powder. Just sayin'. Don't be surprised if I test out this theory very soon.




Riley's been eating a lot of avocado poundcake. She thinks she's all fancy. (She totally is).

Avocado Poundcake  *Makes 1 loaf*

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
6 tbl (3/4 stick) salted butter, at room temp
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup + 1 tbl mashed ripe avocado
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
scant 1/3 cup buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x4" loaf pan. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and baking soda.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add the mashed avocado and beat for an additional 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for one minute after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and beat to combine. Scoop half of the dry ingredients into the bowl and beat on low speed until just combined. Add all the buttermilk, beating on low speed until just combined. Add the remainder of the dry ingredients and beat until incorporated.

Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan, smoothing the top. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Source: Recipe adapted from the Joy the Baker Cookbook.



4 Response to Avocado Poundcake

March 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM

How interesting, I don't think I've ever had avocado in a baked item. I'd be curious to try it!

March 19, 2012 at 6:03 PM

this looks great - I will definitely be trying this recipe!

March 20, 2012 at 4:26 AM

Your pound cake looks so soft and light. Sounds lovely too with the avocado.

May 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I love pound cake and never thought to put avocado in it...I bet it makes the pound cake so moist and delicious. I have a bunch of cornmeal that needs to be used up, so this recipe looks perfect to me. Can't wait to try it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes