Lucky Charms Pana Cotta




I got this recipe from Brave Tart's website a couple months ago. I remember looking at her cereal marshmallows and thinking they were awesome, and then seeing this and thinking it was even more awesome. How did she do that!? I've since gotten my hands on the Momofuku Milk Bar cookbook and realize that it was Christina Tossi that she was referring to throughout the post. She does cereal milk panna cotta in her book as well.




This recipe served as the dessert for my 24x24 post for January. I made special cereal marshmallows to garnish as well as homemade corn syrup to make the marshmallows. It was a crazy amount of work for a few desserts, although the actual panna cotta part requires hardly any work at all. This turned out to be, honestly, a little under-set and jiggly for my liking. It tasted of pure heavy cream to me, except that it was crazy sweet. For a small (and I mean tiny) portion, it was great. Too much, and it will bowl you over with its richness and sweetness. I think I got a stomach ache, and I like my sweets!





That said, it is a really cool concept and a really surprising thing to serve. For all that, it did sort of taste like cereal milk. More than that it was a rich and surprising dessert. Now that I've got cereal marshmallows to last a lifetime, I'm going to try Christina Tossi's version as well which uses "cereal milk" (made with regular milk steeped with corn flakes and such) and gelatin.

Lucky Charms Panna Cotta

11 grams gelatin
3 ounces milk
20 ounces cream (I used heavy, though light would probably taste much better)
14 ounces milk
1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped
10 ounces sugar
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 3” cinnamon stick (I used a pinch of cinnamon)
1/2 tsp orange flower water (don't go out of your way for this, I didn't think it added much)
cereal marshmallows, homemade or from a box

Combine the milk and gelatin in a medium bowl, whisking to make sure no lumps of gelatin remain if using powdered gelatin. Set aside.

In a medium pot combine the cream, milk, vanilla bean seeds, sugar, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon stick. Bring the mixture to a simmer, whisking occasionally and cooking until the sugar has fully dissolved.

Fish out the cinnamon stick and discard. Pour the hot mixture into the bowl of gelatin, whisking to combine. Cool to room temperature in an ice-bath, then stir in the orange flower water.

Ladle the mixture into eight cereal bowls, reserving about three ounces in the bottom of the mixing bowl. Refrigerate the cereal bowls, but leave the reserved mixture at room temperature.

When the refrigerated panna cotta has begun to set (after about three hours), take the reserved panna cotta and whisk vigorously to create air bubbles; if it has congealed, zap it in the microwave for just a few seconds to melt. Seriously, just one or two seconds will do. Use a spoon to carefully transfer a few bubbles onto each panna cotta; re-whisk as needed to create more bubbles.

Return to the refrigerator until ready to serve. Garnish with plenty of homemade cereal marshmallows or a handful of the real thing, if you prefer.

Source: Recipe adapted from Brave Tart.




1 Response to Lucky Charms Pana Cotta

March 2, 2012 at 4:35 PM

That looks so good!! I love cereal, and I love how sweet lucky charms are. This sounds like a delicious, unique treat.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes