Avocado Arugula Pesto with Spaghetti Squash Pasta



Oh. My. Gosh. I've been eating healthy and staying on track in the gym for a while now, and despite all my best efforts I've still somehow managed to lose a mere 10 pounds in 50 days. This is fine with me. I'm a foodie at heart, and I can't survive on salad with low-fat italian dressing for the rest of my life. I need some variety and interest, which can sometimes be lacking in poached chicken and brown rice or steamed vegetables with salmon. This "pasta" is one of those ah-ha moments for me, I love eating healthy! This dish is so good that I want to feel guilty eating it, but I know I can't because it's all sorts of healthy.





I had avocados and a ton of baby arugula in my fridge, and so I googled both ingredients and google came up with this amazing healthy (and vegan) pesto served over wheat pasta. I decided to sub in spaghetti squash simply because one portion of pasta is not enough for me, and with spaghetti squash you get a lot more food for less calories. I'd also never made spaghetti squash pasta before, so I wanted to give it a try. Let me just say, this is freakin' amazing! It's peppery, creamy, salty, and totally fresh tasting on top of the spaghetti squash - you'd never feel deprived!  Happy summer and stay cool!




P.S. I'm not providing measurements for the spaghetti squash past because every squash is a different size!

Spaghetti Squash "Pasta"
Yield: 6-8 servings

INGREDIENTS
1 spaghetti squash
sliced garlic
olive oil
salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds, and discard.

Place the squash halves, face up, on the baking sheet. Rub each half with the sliced garlic and brush lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.

Bake for about 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before separating squash from skin. Squash is ready when is separates from the skin with little resistance.

Avocado Arugula Pesto 
Yield: about 6 servings

INGREDIENTS
2 oz arugula
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 avocado
1/4 cup olive oil
juice of half a lemon
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper, to taste

DIRECTIONS
Put everything in a food processor and blend until smooth. Serve over spaghetti squash pasta.

SOURCE
pesto adapted from the Harmonious Kitchen.

4 Response to Avocado Arugula Pesto with Spaghetti Squash Pasta

June 20, 2012 at 12:59 PM

What a fabulous recipe, this looks amazing!:)

June 20, 2012 at 3:36 PM

How healthy and looks delicious! I always say I'm going to give spaghetti squash a try, but never do. This recipe might be the push I need. thanks!

June 21, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Oh my this looks heavenly!

Kim
June 24, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Well I see someone beat me to it but I also nominated you for the versatile blogger award/
http://ormonddinners.blogspot.com/2012/06/crispy-roast-chicken-and-shallots-with.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes