Mini Pixie Stix Cupcakes









I have been thinking about these cupcakes for months. The idea for Pixie Stix cupcakes has been swimming around in my head since last Halloween. I've just been unable to shake it from my mind. Finally, after having bought about three bags of Pixie Stix around October, I decided to bring it to life. Any vanilla cake base will do (I adapted one from my Baked cookbook) baked in mini-cupcake pans. Any vanilla frosting will also do (I used a cream cheese frosting). I tested out many different ideas, all to no avail. I substituted Pixie Stix for the sugar in two different buttercream methods (a typical sugar, butter, cream and a stovetop frosting made with flour). They did not come out well. The problem is that the Pixie Stix are extremely tart and when each flavor stands on its own in a frosting it loses all of its distinctive flavor. It just did not taste like I had hoped! Two things that I have thought about but did not try yet: Pixie Stix meringue frosting and substituting Pixie Stix for the sugar in the cupcake recipe. I highly doubt either would be successful based on my other experiences. I finally settled on a plain vanilla cream cheese frosting dusted in Pixie Stix and a Pixie Stix simple syrup to flavor and add moisture to the cakes. Win! Totally yummy and not overpowering at all.



For the simple syrup: mix two parts Pixie Stix sugar with one part water in a pan and bring to a boil. Brush over cupcakes. Simple. Some things to remember: 1 pixie stick=1/2 tsp, 6 pixie stix=1 tbl. You can see how this could get tedious...1 bag=approximately 28 of each flavor...so about 1/4 cup of each flavor per bag. This is plenty for the simple syrup alone.



P.S. You might want to tint the frosting and/or cupcakes, especially if these are for kids!!


4 Response to Mini Pixie Stix Cupcakes

Carrie Smith
August 19, 2011 at 9:15 AM

These are SO pretty! I'm not a Pixie Stix fan, per se, but these are making me want to go and get some!

October 7, 2011 at 11:07 AM

These are by far the cutest cupcakes I have seen!

Anonymous
January 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM

So did you mix the simple syrup with the cake batter? And if so, how much, and what did it replace?

January 28, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Hi! The simple syrup was brushed over the cooled cupcakes. I used a plain vanilla cupcake base. If you end up making these and want to try adding the pixie stix to the batter, I would replace a portion of the sugar with an equal amount of pixie stix dust. If you try making them, let me know! I'd love to hear how they turn out :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes