Foodbuzz 24x24: A Summer Snack Attack Lunch!



I am so excited that I have been chosen for Foodbuzz's 24x24 this month!!! I had quite the mix up, thinking twice that I wasn't chosen at all. I was bummed, but totally exuberant when I found out that I really was going to be a part of it! It was a bit of a scramble at the last minute to get everything together, but I have to say, I am pretty pleased with the results and it was an amazing day of cooking and spending time with my family.


This is an entire meal of "snack" food. Because snacks are wonderful and they need more credit! In the summer, snacks are easy and don't require an oven (well, maybe MINE do, but this is a "lunch party" after all!). It might not be a firm established "tradition", but to me hot summer days spent indoors in the cool with family, watching tv and movies, is a tradition. It is an integral part of my summer experience just as much as pool parties, trips to the beach, blueberry picking, and all the other outdoor activities one does in the summer months. I couldn't imagine summer without a few days spent indoors like this!

The hot Massachusetts sun was blazing today!!!


So...I had an indoor lunch with my daughter and her father comprised of snack food and with lots of movies and air conditioning. They were more than willing to watch movies, eat free food, and hang out inside all day!

On the menu:

Fried pickles w/ homemade parmesan peppercorn dipping sauce
Cinnamon sugar soft pretzel bites
Buttery soft pretzel bites w/ homemade cheddar cheese dipping sauce
Homemade potato chips
Mini chocolate cupcakes w/ chocolate frosting
Mini yellow vanilla cupcakes w/ vanilla sour cream frosting
Strawberry ice cream cups
Lemonade



Fried pickles are amazing! I first had them after a late night bar run and these taste just as good as the ones that night. Hamburger dill chips are coated with a mix of bread crumbs and cornmeal and fried until crisp. They are juicy, salty, crunchy and perfect for snacking on in front of the tv with parmesan peppercorn dip.



I made two different kinds of pretzels: cinnamon sugar and butter and salt with cheddar cheese dipping sauce. Cinnamon sugar pretzels bites are such an addictive snack food. I get them every time I'm at the mall and I'm ecstatic that I found a version that tastes just as good. These are time consuming to make but the results are well worth it.



The other pretzel bites get soaked in pure butter. The dough is salty enough that they don't need extra pretzel salt. They are tender, doughy, and buttery. Homemade cheddar cheese sauce takes them over the edge. If you've never had this combo at a mall or pretzel shop I encourage you to try these for the next party you go to. Everyone loves them!


These are homemade potato chips plain and simple. I sliced red bliss potatoes with the skin on with a mandolin. Hot hot oil and salt are the only other things you need to make these. They can be finicky to get to crisp up so I use a candy thermometer to make sure the oil is super hot. These are impressive if you can make them to bring somewhere as a snack, and an added bonus to regular chips is that you have control over every ingredient that goes into them. I thought that salt and vinegar would be a good flavor to try but I kept this batch simple.


These are, without a doubt, the most moist and tender crumbed chocolate cupcakes I've had. I kept them simple with chocolate frosting and sprinkles. I caught my boyfriend, who doesn't even like cake, eating three of these. These are definitly a keeper and I'll be making them again soon.


I decided to go simple with chocolate cupcakes and vanilla cupcakes, but I didn't go halfway on taste with either. These taste like sugar cookies baked into a cupcake. The frosting is a simple vanilla buttercream with a twist: tangy sour cream that reflects the sour cream in the cupcake batter.


These are delicious strawberry ice cream cups. I half-pureed the fruit so there are big chunks of strawberries in the ice cream. I'm always amazed at how flavorful strawberries make things; much more flavorful than any store bought strawberry-flavored option. I love this ice cream, and it was a big hit with my daughter!


Last but not least, I made lemonade for a drink. It reminds me of summertime and is so easy to make. Nothing is refreshing like a glass of homemade lemonade, pure and simple.


I will be posting all of the recipes in the upcoming week. I hope everyone has an amazing summer! Thank you to Foodbuzz for allowing me to put on my snacky lunch! XOXO

Mini Yellow Cupcakes with Sour Cream Vanilla Frosting

*Makes about 4 regular sized or 12 mini cupcakes

1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tbl salted butter, at room temp
1 large egg yolk
1/3 large egg white
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 tbl sour cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 12 cup mini-cupcake pan with paper liners.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat together the flour, sugar, and baking powder to combine. Add in the rest of the ingredients and beat on medium-high speed until combined. Fill cupcake liners 1/2 way full and bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Top with vanilla sour cream buttercream and rainbow sprinkles.
Recipe adapted from JoyofBaking.com

Mini Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Sour Cream Buttercream

*Makes about 4 regular sized or 12 mini cupcakes

1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 tbl salted butter, at room temp
1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 tbs sour cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 12 cup mini cupcake pan with paper liners.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the cocoa powder, flour, and baking powder until combined. Add in the rest of the ingredients and beat on medium-high speed until combined. Fill cupcake liners 1/2 the way full and bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Top with chocolate sour cream buttercream and chocolate sprinkles.

Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart

Vanilla and Chocolate Sour Cream Buttercream

8 tbl (1 stick) salted butter, at room temp
1/2 cup sour cream
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
pinch salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup cocoa powder

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream together the butter and sour cream on medium-high speed until light and fluffy and no lumps remain. Slowly add in the powdered sugar on low speed. Turn the mixer to high and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla and salt and beat until combined. Divide the frosting in half. Frost the vanilla cupcakes with half.

Add the cocoa powder to one half and beat until combined. Frost chocolate cupcakes.

3 Response to Foodbuzz 24x24: A Summer Snack Attack Lunch!

August 2, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Congrats on Foodbuzz 24x24. Great recipe. Love the photos.

August 7, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Congrats and might I say those fried pickles look delish! :D

August 9, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Oh those cinnamon pretzel bites look amazing! Love the fried pickles too! Congrats on the Foodbuzz 24 x 24.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes