Banana and Nutella Pop-Tarts




I once heard that the most bought food item before a hurricane are pop-tarts. So, in honor of Hurricane Irene, I'm sharing this toaster pastry recipe. It hasn't hit here in Western Mass yet, but we're starting to get rain and the storm clouds are approaching. Tomorrow she should be here in all her glory. I hope everyone stays safe and warm this weekend!


You could use just about any filling you want here, let your creativity run wild. I chose nutella and thinly sliced banana which, if you were wondering, was amazing. The recipe here is a very simple pastry dough that came with the toaster pastry cutters (from William Sonoma). It gets almost elasticy when rolled out which is a good thing when you're rolling the dough only 1/8 inch thick. Overall, these were really easy to make and fun to decorate. I can't wait to try other variations like chocolate dough and flavored frosting. :)





Toaster Pastry Dough

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tbl sugar
2 sticks (16 tbl) salted butter, ice cold and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
6 tbl - 8 tbl ice cold water

In a food processor, pulse together the flour and sugar. Add the butter and pulse until coarse and crumbly, about 10 times. Add in 6 tbl of water and pulse until combined. Add more water, as needed, until the dough comes together and is slightly sticky. Divide into two disks, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Roll out, cut, fill, cover with another cut out, seal, and bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.

Recipe adapted from William Sonoma

7 Response to Banana and Nutella Pop-Tarts

Anonymous
August 27, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Oh my gosh. I love bananas. I love poptarts. I LOVE Nutella. This is a winning combination for sure! Sounds so good.

August 28, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Love this. Recipe a keeper. Thanks for sharing.

August 28, 2011 at 12:58 PM

very cute!
Here in Italy I'm following all the news about Hurricane Irene, I hope it doesn't too much harm!

Bye!
http://thetwinkycake.blogspot.com/

August 28, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Yum! Did you say Nutella??? Ohhhh I love it! And these pop tarts look soooo cute!

August 29, 2011 at 7:17 AM

Delicious! My kids will be thrilled with this...

August 29, 2011 at 11:21 AM

I'd love to try my hand at making pop-tarts. The nutella-banana idea sounds phenomenal (I have a serious weakness for nutella)! Thanks for sharing the dough recipe, I've saved it for use in the very near future :)

August 30, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Very cool! Great minds think alike! I'm amazed at homemade pop-tarts! Wow, That's a fantastic idea! : ) I hope you are all okay after Irene!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes