Deep Dish "Shrimp and Grits" Pizza




Man am I happy I had this idea! A cheesy cornmeal pizza crust topped with spicy white wine-garlic-lemon infused tomato sauce, parmesan and cheddar cheese, and spicy marinated shrimp = amazingness! In case you missed my other posts, I've also made some awesome whole wheat caeser salad pizza and greek pizza recently. But, I have to say, this pizza might just top them both! In fact, I love making pizzas so much I'm thinking about dropping out of nursing school and becoming a pizza maker! Well, not really, but I'm at least thinking about making a lot more pizza.


Seriously, if you've never had shrimp and grits before, go make them soon. If you're like I was and you think you don't like grits, try this recipe and I swear you will be converted forever...they're sort of like super cheesy cornmeal mashed potatoes.


I think this pizza comes pretty darn close to the original. It's got all of the components plus a spicy tomato sauce (sorta like the broth) that is to-die-for, and it's all on a super-simple to prepare pizza. I always make my own crust, but because this recipe is already semi-involved for a pizza I bought a package of already mixed dried pizza dough that requires only water (and...no rising). It is super tasty as is but just to drive home the shrimp and grits theme I added parmesan cheese and cornmeal to the batter. Make it deep dish and you have a fantastic and easy pizza - no annoying pizza stones or pulling of dough, just stretch it into a pie plate and it's done. :)

Deep Dish "Shrimp and Grits" Pizza

For the spicy white-wine-garlic-lemon infused tomato sauce:
2 tbl olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup white wine
zest of 1/2 lemon

In a medium saucepan over medium heat combine the olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook until the garlic is soft and golden brown, about 1-2 minutes. Add in the entire can of crushed tomatoes with the salt and cook for another 5 minutes. Add in the white wine, bring to a boil, and turn the heat off. Stir in the lemon zest.

For the spicy marinated shrimp:
1/2 pound raw peeled shrimp, cut into 1/2" pieces
1/2 tsp paprika
pinch cayenne pepper
2 tbl white wine
juice from 1/2 lemon

Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl to coat the shrimp. Let marinade for at least 15 minutes.

For the pizza dough:
1 pckg Betty Crocker pizza dough mix
1/3 cup white corn meal
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2/3 cup warm water

Remove 1/4 cup of the pizza dough mix and discard. In a bowl whisk together the remaining pizza dough mix and cornmeal. Stir in the parmesan cheese and add the warm water. Mix to combine and spread out over the bottom and sides of a greased 9"x1 1/2" pie plate.

Assembly:
pizza dough
1 cup spicy white-wine-garlic-lemon infused tomato sauce
2/3 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/3 cup grated mozzerella cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
spicy marinated shrimp

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Meanwhile assemble the pizza. Spread the tomato sauce over the bottom and up the sides of the pizza. Top with all of the cheeses. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and arrange the shrimp pieces on the pizza. Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the shrimp are pink.

2 Response to Deep Dish "Shrimp and Grits" Pizza

Anonymous
August 31, 2011 at 5:13 PM


Hi there.)

Oh, you ve got such a cute blog!! I love it!
Nice post.))

I need your help (maybe again) ...
I spend new survey ..
Have you watched the MTV awards prizes?
if yes whether you agree with all the awards, or something you think was unfair?

September 2, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Oh, wow!! I've actually never had shrimp and grits before, but I can imagine that this would be a great way to eat them!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes