Pistachio Sables


I guess I've gotten (partially) out of my cupcake rut. I was so disappointed after three batches of failed cupcakes in less than a week that I was starting to lose a little bit of motivation. Add to that school starting up again (which = stress) and a small amount of passive aggressive energy from someone (I'm not good with that), and I've been in a little bit of a rut. But I'm happy to say I took the first steps to solving my problems and bought some brand new baking powder and baking soda. I'm prepared to re-try my Nutella cupcake recipe again, for the third time tonight. :)


In the meantime I've decided to post something. I feel like I haven't posted in a long time, but I guess it's only been a few days. These pistachio sables are something I've had my eye on for a while. I kinda have a pistachio thing lately. I go through phases. I've got a jar of shelled pistachio meat tucked away in my cupboard waiting for future uses. These and some pistachio pudding (ehhh...still working on it) were my start. Consider them a really buttery sugar cookie made awesome with tons of pistachios. The flavor of the nuts really shines through since the cookie is so simple (not even vanilla extract in here). I love them, and could easily have eaten the whole batch myself...but I'm being good.


This recipe is cut in half and makes about 12 large cookies. You could easily double it and freeze the leftovers. I know it's a little strange to use 1/2 of an egg white, but I bake so much that I usually have a tupperware of egg whites in the fridge. Measured out I used about 2 tbl of egg whites for this.


Pistachio Sables

8 tbl salted butter at room temp
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 large egg white
drop of green foodcoloring (optional)
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup roughly chopped pistachios
sanding sugar or raw sugar for rolling

In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream together the butter and powdered sugar on medium-high speed for about 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the egg white and food coloring and beat until just combined. Add in the flour and beat on low until almost combined. Add the pistachios and beat until combined on low speed for about 30 seconds or less.
Roll the dough into a log about 8 inches long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Roll in sanding sugar or raw sugar to coat, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate at least one hour or overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the cookie dough log into 3/4 inch slices and space about 1 inch apart on the cookie sheet. Bake for 14-16 minutes or until firm to the touch but with no golden brown color. Cool on the sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe adapted from The Art of the Cookie

5 Response to Pistachio Sables

September 9, 2011 at 3:28 AM

Yummy sables with pistachio. I loved the recipe! Love pistachios in any form!!

Anonymous
September 10, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I love pistachios! Unfortunatly, my family doesn't feel the same way. I bookmarked this one for a day when I make something just for me :)

September 14, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Pistachios are my FAVORITE nut. These look great!

September 17, 2011 at 6:39 AM

love that this sable recipe uses half an egg white...i tried a recipe that called for a whole egg, and it was just too....eggy. i'll have to try yours! thanks :)

Anonymous
December 21, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Soooooooooo amazing!!!! So amazing in fact, they've turned into my "Christmas cookie". Everyone (after 1 year is starting to request them!!! Times 100). Needless to say.... They are a HIT!!! The only changes I made to them, is when I rolled them I'm "raw sugar", I used pretty "Gold Sanding sugar (from William Sonoma "gold"), and maybe 1-2 Tablespoons of finely chopped pistachio's. It's a great combo!!! If you don't like a lot of nuts, just subtract, or minimize.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes