Vanilla Malt Soft Sugar Cookies




I had about thirty different posts lined up for today, but in the end these warm soft sugar cookies made it out of my oven first. These were a total out of the blue cookie. The idea popped into my head and I literally ran into the kitchen to make them right then. Luckily I remembered to freeze half the batch before they went into the oven to save for presents. You see, I'm trying to stock up my freezer with at least a few different cookies to avoid an all day baking session. For some reason I have this crazy idea of Christmas cookie boxes in my head and I'm like a mad person when I get an idea.








I freaking love the soft frosted sugar cookies you buy pre-made in the store. I normally have absolutely no problem walking past my grocery store's bakery section with the exception of these cookies. They're big, cake-like, and the frosting on top seals the deal. Best of all, they don't have that disgusting shortening flavor most baked goods have at the grocery store bakery. The idea that I could actually make them myself only recently came to me when I saw a version on a few of my favorite blogs. I really had to stop myself from baking them because I know when they're around I can't resist them.
These cookies are super easy to make, but they do call for one ingredient that you might not usually buy: malt powder. I'm a recent convert to the malt party, and I'm really liking how it tastes in these cookies. It gives them a warm toasty feeling. We may just have to leave a few of these out for Santa this year ;)





Vanilla Malt Soft Sugar Cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups cake flour
1 cup malted milk powder (I used original Ovaltine)
4 1/2 tsp (1 1/2 tbl) baking powder
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) salted butter, at room temp
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 tbl pure vanilla extract

*Makes about 2-3 dozen cookies, depending on the size

Whisk together the flours, malt powder, and baking powder. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. With the mixer on low add in the eggs one at a time, beating each until just combined. Beat in the vanilla extract. Slowly add in the dry ingredients until they are completely incorporated. Refrigerate at least one hour.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Spoon out large tablespoons of dough and roll into balls. Slightly flatten each with the palm of your hand and space an inch apart on the lined baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until just risen and set. Do not brown. Let cool and frost with your favorite buttercream, if desired.

Source: Heavily adapted from Annie's Eats.

7 Response to Vanilla Malt Soft Sugar Cookies

December 6, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Mmm, I adore soft vanilla cookies that melt in your mouth and the sugar pearls make yours look so elegant :) Great recipe!

December 6, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Mmmmmm...These look absolutely delicious and I love the addition of malt powder. I bet that adds a great depth to these cookies. I too stock my freezer throughout December to avoid a baking marathon the week before Christmas.

Anonymous
December 6, 2011 at 10:10 AM

YES a soft sugar cookie! I'm no big on crunchy sugar cookies, but that seems to be the only recipe I ever see! These look just perfect.

December 6, 2011 at 12:34 PM

ahhh YUM! I'll take two! <3 ;)

December 6, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Ah I totally love soft sugar cookies too! Great photos

December 8, 2011 at 2:08 PM

I love cookies. I'd like a few cookies with a glass of milk. :-)

December 9, 2011 at 4:50 AM

One of my favorite cookies :) These look beautiful! I love the photo of the little bite...I wouldn't have been able to keep from chomping one either!

Buzzed

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes