Whiskey Braised Apple Sauce



I got inspired to make this recipe when I was looking at Foodbuzz's daily special. There was a kick ass looking recipe for whiskey braised applesauce. After looking up the real recipe from Emeril Lagasse I came to two very serious conclusions - 1. the recipe actually does use kentucky bourbon despite its original name 2. this applesauce should be chunky, Emeril's applesauce can be "apple butter" consistency.



I happened to only have three apples of various kinds on hand, but you should make it with six. Also, they should not be granny smith since I had a wierd experience where my alcohol got trapped inside the granny smith apple. I like Jack Daniels and I'm broke so I acutually ended up using Jack that I had on hand instead of kentucky bourbon.

I seriously want to stick my head in a big bowl of this. It's that good. You can't even taste the whiskey in the end but it adds a warm depth of flavor that is impossible to put your finger on. If you've ever had that little sticky applesauce side from a certain steakhouse chain restaraunt, this applesauce is pretty similar!

And get ready for some awesome jello jelly shots in the near future.

Whiskey Braised Apple Sauce

4 tbl salted butter, divided
6 apples, peeled, cored, and roughly chopped - braeburn or gala
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2/3 cup whiskey

In a medium saucepan add 3 tbl butter, the apples, sugar, cinnamon, and whiskey. Simmer over low heat until the apples are tender, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mash with a wooden spoon to desired consistency and stir in the last tablespoon of butter. Serve warm.

Source: Inspired by Emeril Lagasse's Whiskey Braised Applesauce.

3 Response to Whiskey Braised Apple Sauce

January 6, 2012 at 6:10 AM

Ooooh, that sounds amazing! :) What a treat!

January 6, 2012 at 9:54 AM

You had me at whiskey braised. This is divine!!

March 4, 2012 at 8:45 PM

It's exactly what I think it is. The sauce is very chunky with heck a lot of whiskey.
buy whiskey online

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes