Spicy Gazpacho with Shrimp



Gazpacho is something I've only recently tried, and been so-so about. Normally when I think of gazpacho, I think of pureed tomatoes and bread. Basically a pureed version of what my family calls dunkin' salad, and not made better by pureeing, in my opinion. I tried a version at a restaurant called Mama Iguana's that was supposed to be a Mexican version of gazpacho, but once again I thought of pureed dunkin' salad with a hint of cilantro and lime. I wasn't sold at all. Then I came across a recipe from Martha Stewart that didn't include any bread at all...could this one be a winner? Well, the fact that it was topped with shrimp and mussels had me sold enough to try it. I changed up the recipe so that it was easier for me, but I posted the link to the original, too. This is much more up my ally, much healthier, and really fresh tasting, too. It's almost verging on pure salsa, but I think the addition of shrimp and the soupier consistency saves it. I love it, and I'm going to be eating it for the rest of the week!




Spicy Gazpacho with Shrimp 
Yield: 4-6 servings

INGREDIENTS
5 lbs. vine ripened tomatoes
1 jalapeno, roughly chopped
1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
juice of 4 limes
1 tsp salt plus more to taste
1/2 pound raw jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup cilantro
1/2 lemon or lime
1 small cucumber, diced (optional)

DIRECTIONS
Cut a small X into the top of each tomato for easy peeling of the skin. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and prepare a large ice bath. Drop the tomatoes into the boiling water for about 30-60 seconds and immediately use a slotted spoon to transfer them to the ice bath to stop them from cooking. Peel of the skin, slice in half, and transfer to a large food processor or blender with the jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, and salt. Puree until smooth and adjust seasoning/acidity to taste. Chill for at least 2 hours.

Meanwhile heat a large cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Season the shrimp to taste and transfer to the preheated skillet. Cook until bright pink, about 1-2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate to cool slightly. Meanwhile ladle the gazpacho into bowls. Top with the cooled shrimp, torn cilantro leaves, and a squeeze of lemon or lime. Serve immediately, garnished with cucumber if desired.

SOURCE
Sarah Cupcake original, inspired from this recipe from Martha Stewart.


2 Response to Spicy Gazpacho with Shrimp

June 13, 2012 at 6:28 AM

YUM!

June 14, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I haven't been a big fan of gazpacho either.. but this one sounds really good. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes