Oatmeal Banana Bread





Yes this bread has oatmeal in it, and yes it is low-fat. Does that make it bad in the eyes of banana bread lovers?? I really don't know because I was never a huge banana bread fanatic, anyways. I mostly like to enjoy it crispy and toasted with lots of butter, which is exactly why I didn't make this into muffins. Although now that I think of it, banana cream cheese muffins would be pretty dang good. But that's besides the point. I'm still trying to be good here, so I'll save the unhealthy breakfast food for a special occasion. For now I'll just drink my coffee and eat a slice of this banana bread, toasted with butter. And wish that I didn't get woken up by Riley at 3:30 a.m. when I easily could have just made this banana bread at 7:00 a.m., especially since it involved a noisy electric mixer. Now it's 5:30 a.m. and I'm wondering how I'm going to make it through the rest of the day without a caffeine IV.

Low-Fat Oatmeal Banana Bread  
yield: 1 9x5" loaf

INGREDIENTS
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup uncooked old fashioned oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp  salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 large bananas, ripe
3 tsp canola or walnut  oil
1 large egg
2 medium egg whites

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9"x5" loaf pan and set aside. In a large bowl, stir together the dry ingredients.

In a smaller bowl, mash bananas with a potato masher or fork. Add oil and whole egg and mix thoroughly.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. Batter will be fairly thick (I added a dash of buttermilk at this point because my batter was dry).

In a medium sized bowl, with an electric hand mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the batter in three additions.

Pour batter into pan and bake until top of loaf is firm to touch, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes. Flip out and cool on a wire rack for another 10 minutes. Slice loaf into 10 equally sized slices.

SOURCE
adapted from Weight Watchers website via Joy the Baker.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
1 serving = 1/10th loaf
  Calories: 190
  Total Fat: 2.9 g
  Cholesterol: 18.5 mg
  Sodium: 139.4 mg
  Potassium: 223.5 mg
  Total Carbohydrate : 41.6 g
     Dietary Fiber: 2.2 g
     Sugars: 20.0 g
  Protein: 4.4 g

7 Response to Oatmeal Banana Bread

August 30, 2012 at 2:23 AM

I always love using oats in my baking. This looks awesome. I think I have some bananas calling out to me to do this. :)

Anonymous
August 30, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Do you have the nutritional info for this? it'd be much appreciated:)

August 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Thanks for mentioning that! It's now posted at the end. :)

August 30, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I've been told that according to Weight Watchers, this is 5 points per slice.

September 3, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Yum. This looks scrumptious.thanks for sharing the nutritional info as well!

Anonymous
October 17, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I was just wondering if you had a calorie count on this? It looks awesome

October 17, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Whoops, it didn't get posted with the nutrition info the first time around. Thanks for commenting on that!! I posted it, it's about 190 calories for 1/10th of the loaf! =D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes