Strawberry Shortcake



You know what's the worst in the summer? Wishing for fall. I'm sort of tired of it being hot and muggy 24/7, leaving the smelly air conditioners on at all hours, wearing work-out clothes to avoid that sticky feeling, and never ever wearing make-up or blowing out my hair because I know I'll be a sweaty, runny, frizzy mess in 5 minutes.




I've been so ho-hum about the season and not being near a real beach that I've sort of checked out, especially when it comes to food. But I think these strawberry shortcakes were just the thing to pull me out of my rut or at least tide me over until pumpkin season. The strawberries at the store were the most beautiful I've seen them all season, and I couldn't think of anything that could be better than strawberry shortcake except just eating them out of the carton, which I definitely did.




Who knows, maybe there's even a beach trip in store for me before the season is up? (And I'm counting the days). Sorry to be such a bummer, I'll be back to my cheery self once the temperature is a tad bit cooler and I can conquer this 5 pounds I've been struggling to lose for 2 months now!

Strawberry Shortcake
Yield: 6 servings

INGREDIENTS
For the strawberries:
1 lb. (about 4 cups) fresh hulled strawberries
2 tbl+ sugar

For the shortcakes:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
1/2 cup (8 tbl) salted butter, cold and cut into 1/2" cubes
1/4 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 large egg

For the whipped cream:
2 cups heavy cream
2 tbl sugar

DIRECTIONS
First, assemble the strawberries: Add 1/3 of the strawberries to a bowl and mash into a pulp using a potato masher, fork, or your fingers. Slice the remaining strawberries into 1/4 inch slices and toss in the bowl with the sugar. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to 2 hours, then refrigerate until ready to use.

Meanwhile, make the biscuits: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a large heavy baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the cold cubed butter and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to cut in the butter; the mixture should resemble coarse cornmeal when finished.

Measure the heavy cream, buttermilk, and egg into one cup and whisk together. Add to the dry ingredients, using a fork to gently moisten all the flour until the dough just begins to come together. Knead once or twice until the dough comes together.

Empty the dough onto a lightly floured cutting board and roll or pat out into a 3/4" circle. Using a 2 1/4" round cutter make as many biscuits as will fit and place them on the baking sheet. Gather the scraps and continue cutting until you have 6 biscuits. Arrange the biscuits on the baking sheet, brush with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown all over. Cool.

Just before serving, make the whipped cream: Beat together the cream and sugar in a large metal bowl until soft peaks form.

Assemble the shortcakes by slicing a biscuit in half and scooping strawberries and juice on top. Replace the other half of the biscuit and top with whipped cream.

SOURCE
adapted and re-written from Fine Cooking magazine.

5 Response to Strawberry Shortcake

August 9, 2012 at 4:49 PM

These looks so delicious! By the way, I love fall, but with that comes winter and therefore, I'll just settle for this heat!

August 10, 2012 at 4:41 AM

I love strawberry shortcake...Something sweet and fruity to beat the summer heat. Thanks for making summer more enjoyable. A must try...
Anyhoo, we have been keeping an eye out for unique and interesting bloggers with phenomenal photography skills, and yours caught our attention! We have just recently launched a food photo submission gallery http://www.yumgoggle.com/gallery/ that allows you to showcase all your great work and share it with all of our visitors. We’d be proud to have your work as part of our growing collection to continue to have a larger reach and further inspire all fellow food lovers out there!

August 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM

those are perfect looking shortcakes. gorgeous job!
xo
http://allykayler.blogspot.ca/

August 11, 2012 at 7:47 AM

I sooo agree with you about being "over" summer. It's been a crazy hot one this year and I'm ready for some cool weather too. Now I will miss all the summer fruits... like these strawberries. I think strawberry shortcakes is one of the best summer desserts and these look amazing. Have a wonderful weekend. :)

August 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Great picture!!!! My AC went out in my apt one night last week. I thought I was going to DIE! The next morning trying to get ready for work was impossible...how can you put makeup when you're already sweating?? Ick.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes