Double Ginger Shortbread



I made these last week for my brother, who loves ginger, and his 34th birthday. I'm not really a huge fan of crystallized ginger myself, so I made these more for him. But in the end I ended up loving them anyways. The ginger flavor didn't really come through as much as I would have liked, though. Next time I'd use more of both types of ginger, particularly the fresh ginger. These definitely get better with age, too. If using a quarter sheet pan, it's a little bit smaller than the 9x13" pan and the baking time probably needs to be increased. Since this is the pan I used, mine came out slightly underbaked.




Double Ginger Shortbread 
Yield: 32 cookies

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups (3 stick) salted butter, at room temp
1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
1 tbl grated fresh ginger
1 tbl pure vanilla extract
3 1/3 cups all purpose flour

DIRECTIONS
Butter the bottom and sides of a 9x13" square baking dish or quarter sheet pan. Set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, sugar, crystallized ginger, fresh ginger, and vanilla until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Turn the mixer off and dump in the flour all at once. Turn the mixer to low speed and mix until the dough just begins to clump and come together, about 1 minutes.

Dump the dough out into the buttered pan and press into a flat even layer. Using a sharp knife, score the dough into 32 rectangles. Using the tines of a fork, prick each piece two times, going all the way to the bottom of the dough. You can flour the knife or fork if they begin to stick. Freeze the dough while you preheat the oven.

Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Bake the shortbread for 30-40 minutes or until dry and light golden brown on top. Remove from the oven onto a rack and immediately re-cut the lines. Let cool completely before removing. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.

SOURCE
adapted from Fine Cooking Magazine.

3 Response to Double Ginger Shortbread

July 21, 2012 at 5:28 AM

These look great! I'm sure your brother appreciated these on his birthday. That was so sweet of you to make these for him!

July 22, 2012 at 4:03 AM

Ginger is a awesome ingredient to work with. I usually use it in savory food... but it's great like this in a sweet treat!! Glad your brother enjoyed these on his birthday. :) Have a Happy Sunday! ~ Ramona

July 23, 2012 at 7:25 PM

This looks perfect, I ate about a cup of ginger today, and still am craving more! Subscribed and subscribed again, so that even without Buzz, I won't miss a post! I would love it if you would follow me too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Copyright © 2009 SarahCupcake All rights reserved.
Converted To Blogger Template by Anshul Theme By- WooThemes